1.26.2010

Babycakes/ The Organic Grill/Peacefood: NYC

" Life is short eat dessert first."
My parents came up to visit, and to see a taping of "The Rachael Ray Show" it was nice spending time with them.. My dad went back down to Florida but my mom is staying with me for another week!:) So we've basically made a list of all the vegan/health restaurants in New York City and were trying as many as we can this week.. Let me re cap. We've hit 2 already:) Of course theirs always the lovely Babycakes and Zen but you have to search to find the hidden deliciousness in these quaint little vegan cafes:) So Im going to do a little review of the ones we go to accompanied by pictures- which will count for my favorite things:) Here we go..

Let's start off with Babycakes- my first love in the city , which I'm sure you
've heard me mention a time or two. Amazing desserts. Anything from Banana Bread to homemade cinnamon rolls to agave sweetened brownies. They have most everythi
ng Gluten Free and the friendliest staff in the world ( especially Jessie;) My favorite is a slice of Banana Bread Agave sweetened with chocolate icing:) } So far I would say #1 for Vegan goodies:) Babycakesnyc.com

So to continue down the line with "Dessert" I'll tell you the #1 place in the city to get the best Vegan Fat/Sugar Free Frozen Yogurt. "Diet Lite Ice Cream" in Union Square. I just stumbled upon this place which also doubles as a little magazine shop. They serve the "Only 8" Yogurt so healthy calcium fortified with live active cultures, and delicious 4-6 flavors everyday and the Yogurt Man Ano is the sweetest guy in the world:) My favorite flavors would have to be "Cookies and Cream" and "Milky Way" Only8frozenyogurt.com















Sunday after Church me and my mom hit a cafe on the Upper West Side called "Peacefood Cafe" its literally like 2 blocks from my church- so its a perfect little place to have lunch/brunch after a sunday service:) The place was packed so I pretty much expected del
iciousness.. The first thing you see when you walk in is a case full of Vegan desserts ( Tiramisu, strawberry shortcake, cookies, brownies, cakes) Their Menu has everything from salads to pizza, to samdwhiches to soups.. They also have smoothies, soy drinks, and fresh juices. Me and my mom Got a Veggie Pizza of course on thin whole wheat crust topped with fresh broccoli, cauliflower, zucchini, and squash - so good and light:) We also split a Vegan Caesar Salad with fresh whole wheat croutons, tempeh bits, and freshly ground pepper. Best Caesar S
alad by far. We then split the Strawberry Shortcake.. Heaven in my mouth so good ( unfortunately I forgot to take a picture of the shortcake, next time;) } Best place to hit up if your on the upper west:)
Peacefoodcafe.com















Lastly for this post at least today me and my mom went to "The Organic Grill" on East 8th a little past Union Square. Nice area near NYU so a lot of college students and what not, a bit of a calm from the madness of midtown. They have everything from Vegan waffles, and tofu scramble served all day to fajitas, soups, grilled pizza and sandwhiches, and of course desserts:) We split the special for today which was the Seitan fajitas. sizzling hot plate of seitan with onions and peppers served with fresh veggies and guac with a whole wheat tortilla of course, we also split the Caesar Salad. Delicious completely different from the one at peacefood and really yummy:)
We then split a piece of vegan cherry pie and tiramisu ( we couldn't decide on just one .ha - The desserts looked so good I forgot to take a picture of them. once again next time:) } This place is def. a great little cafe that has amazing organic food:) Theorganicgrill.com















All for now. hitting up another vegan place tomorrow:) Hope life is treating you well:)

Kris

No comments:

Post a Comment